口語交際:這是迷信 It\'s an old superstition

字號:


    A:Ok, so who are we going to invite to our dinner party?
    好了,那么我們打算邀請誰來參加我們的宴會?
    B:Well, we have the Thompsons, the Greens, and the Andersons, about twelve people total.
    唔,我們將邀請托馬斯一家,格雷一家,安德森一家,大約一共有12個人。
    A:Don't forget my friend Andy from the office. He has nothing to do on Friday, so I invited him over.
    不要忘了我辦公室的朋友安迪。星期五他無事可做,所以我邀請了他過來。
    B:But that makes thirteen people! We can't have thirteen people for dinner on Friday!
    但是那樣就有13個人!星期五我們不能有13個人吃飯!
    A:Why can't we?
    為什么不能?
    B:It's an old superstition. If we have thirteen people at the table, then it means bad luck. Can Andy bring a date?
    這是個老迷信。如果我們在飯桌上有13個人,那就意味著運氣不好。安迪能帶他女朋友來嗎?
    A:I'm not sure. He just broke up with his girlfriend recently, and I don't think he's in the mood to start again so soon.
    我不知道。他最近才和他女朋友分手,我想他沒有心情這么快又找一個。
    B:But we can't have thirteen for dinner!
    但我們不能有13個人吃飯!
    A:I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. It's only a superstition. It really doesn't mean anything.
    我想你是在把問題弄大。這只是個迷信,沒有任何實際意義。
    B:Absolutely not! I refuse to have thirteen people for dinner on Friday!
    絕對不是!我拒絕星期五13個人吃飯!
    A:Ok, ok. I'll ask my sister to come. That way we'll have fourteen for dinner.
    好,好。我要我妹妹也來。那樣我們就有14人吃飯。
    B:That's better.
    那還差不多。