第46課:No Way; To Bet

字號:

Michael和李華在復習功課,做完功課后他們準備去看電影。在今天的對話中,李華會學到兩個常用語:no way和to bet。
    L:Michael,準備好了嗎?我們要去看電影了。Anna正開車來接我們呢。
    M: Yeah I'm ready……let me get this call though. Hello? Sorry, I can't come to work right now. I have to pick up a friend from the airport. Yep. Sorry I can't help out. OK.
    L:哎呀,Michael,你怎么能騙你同事說你要去機場接人呢?我覺得他們可能真的很需要幫手,你就去吧。我們可以下次再看電影嘛。
    M: What? No way! I'm not going to help him!
    L:你說什么?no way是什么意思???
    M: No way means that there is no way I will do that. It means that I refuse completely.
    L:噢,我知道了,No,N-O,way,是W-A-Y,就是絕對不行的意思,好象中文里的門兒都沒有。你真的不能幫幫他嗎?
    M: No way! That guy is just lazy. He is always trying to escape from work and find other people to do his job for him. Nobody trusts him.
    L:可是不管怎么說,我還是覺得同事之間還是應該互相幫忙啊。
    M: Really? Well what if Professor Wang called right now and said he needs you to help him grade Chinese test papers all afternoon?
    L:No way! 我才不干呢,我以前幫過他好幾次忙,可他從來都不付給我工資,更氣人的是他連聲謝謝都不肯說。
    M: Well anyway, Anna and I have been waiting for a long time to see this movie. There is no way I'm changing my plans.
    L:我明白了,我看你是喜歡Anna,不想錯過和她一起看電影的機會吧。
    M: What? No way!
    L:哎,你怎么又說no way,這回我又沒要求你做任何事情啊。
    M: Oh, well sometimes no way also means that's not true or absolutely not. It shows that you disagree with something that somebody said.
    L:得了,我就是覺得你喜歡Anna。
    M: No way!
    M: Hmm, Anna still isn't here. I bet the traffic is bad.
    L:啊?你說什么?
    M: I said "I bet the traffic is bad". That means I think, or I'm pretty sure that the traffic is bad. Bet, B-E-T, as in to bet money.
    L:噢,bet 本來的意思是下賭注,例如賭錢,不過在這里是認為或相信的意思。
    M: That's right. When you bet money, you can't always be 100% sure about your bet.
    L:對啊,賭錢的人不可能100% 地預料到下賭注的結果,所以說,如果你說“I bet”,表示你是在推測。
    M: That's right. Anyway, I'm not worried about Anna, I bet she 'll arrive any minute now.
    L:I bet you are right. Anna從來不遲到。哎,你覺得這部電影會好看嗎?
    M: I don't know. It's an action movie, so I bet you won't like it very much.
    L:誰說的,其實我也很喜歡動作片啊,當然除了那些爛片子。
    M: I bet you'll say it is stupid no matter how good it really is. You always say action movies are stupid.
    L:Whatever,我聽好多人說這部電影好看,我想今天電*一定滿座。
    M: Hey, look, there's a red car down the street. I bet that's Anna.
    L:No way. Anna 的車比這輛車小多了。
    M: Looks like I was right. Let's hurry.
    L:I bet Anna她一定很高興見到你。
    M: No way! Stop joking around like that, ok?
    今天李華學到了兩個常用語,no way表示不可能;to bet是確信的意思。